Summaries of surface meteorological measurements at Melbourne Airport (Australia), from 1990-01-01 to 2015-08-09
datasetposted on 21.12.2017 by JEREMY SILVER
Datasets usually provide raw data for analysis. This raw data often comes in spreadsheet form, but can be any collection of data, on which analysis can be performed.
Surface weather data recorded at the Melbourne Airport observing site (Australia), from 1990-01-01 to 2015-08-09
This site is operated by the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. Site details are as follows;
Lat: -37.67, Lon: 144.83, Height above sea level: 113.4 m
Bureau of Meteorology station ID: 086282
- Date: the local calendar date across which variables are summarised
- WS_DailyMean: daily mean wind speed (units = km/h)
- WD_DailyMean: direction of the daily mean (U,V) wind vector (units = degrees clockwise from north)
- PR_DailySum: total precipitation from midnight to midnight (units = mm)
- TM_DailyMean: daily mean temperature (units = degrees celcius)
- RH_DailyMean: daily mean relative humidity (units = percentage)
- U_DailyMean: mean daily east-west wind component (units = km/h)
- V_DailyMean: mean daily north-south wind component (units = km/h)
- WS_Midday: wind speed at midday (units = km/h)
- WD_Midday: wind direction at midday (units = degrees clockwise from north)
- TM_Midday: temperature at midday (units = degrees celcius)
- RH_Midday: relative humidity at midday (units = percentage)
- U_Midday: east-west wind component at midday (units = km/h)
- V_Midday: north-south wind component at midday (units = km/h)
- TS: The code "TS" (denoting thunderstorm) appeared in the METAR/SPECI records at some point in this day. These are based on meteorological observer reports from this site.
1) These data are based on half-hourly summaries supplied by the Bureau of Meteorology.
2) When midday values were not available, the snapshot values were taken from the nearest time-point.
3) When preparing these summaries, the timing of midday and boundaries of each day were based on local time.
Data quality issues:
1) Precipitation was not available in this record before 1999-03-02.
2) The METAR/SPECI fields were not archived consistently prior to 1999-03-01.
The original data can be obtained from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology through their Climate Data services. See www.bom.gov.au for further information
Processed by Jeremy Silver, University of Melbourne, firstname.lastname@example.org (2017-12-20)