All research outputs should be citable.
As of today, all figshare content will have it's own DOI. Research objects need to be citable in order to be usable. DOI stands for 'Digital Object Identifier'. DOI links work wherever they appear on the world-wide web. As defined by the International DOI Foundation:
'A DOI provides a means of persistently identifying a piece of intellectual property on a digital network and associating it with related current data in a structured extensible way'
The University of California Curation Center (UC3) at CDL offers DataCite DOIs and other identifiers via the EZID service, a service UC3 developed to support easy identifier creation and maintenance for educational, non-profit, governmental and commercial clients.
Datacite is an international organisation which aims to:
- • establish easier access to research data
- • increase acceptance of research data as legitimate contributions in the scholarly record
- • support data archiving to permit results to be verified and re-purposed for future study.
The handles system that was previously used will still be operating in the background and all handles will persist.
To cite research on figshare, you can find the text below the file on each article page. This can be copied, or exported to Endnote, RefMan and Mendeley using the links in the sidebar. DOIs are more recognisable by researchers as the standard for persistent linking. They are also easier to track it reference lists. This means that we will soon be recording how many times each object on figshare has been cited. This is notoriously a much slower mark of recognition that the altmetrics we already track on the site, but again it is a form of credit that all researchers are familiar with.
You must be logged in to post comments.
- figshare fest London 2015
- The future of figshare
- Interoperate or die
- New partnership with ACS Publication ...
- The move towards institutional porta ...
- Showcasing the VIVO conference outpu ...
- On top of Romania - Taking open rese ...
- Controlled releases of the products ...
- Loughborough University shortlisted ...
- figshare for institutions