I enjoy distilling scientific information into simple and clear communication products. In 2014, I established E&C Enviroscape to assist clients in communicating scientific results, syntheses, and assessments to stakeholders. My work includes participating in the planning and implementation phases of research, guiding data analyses, and developing reports, presentations, and other communication products. Through E&C Enviroscape I've partnered with scientists, managers, and planners at academic institutions, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and businesses throughout the US.
- Shumchenia EJ, Smith SL, McCann J, Carnevale M, Fugate G, Kenney RD, King JW, Paton P, Schwartz M, Spaulding M, and Winiarski KJ. 2012. An adaptive framework for selecting environmental monitoring protocols to support ocean renewable energy development. Scientific World Journal 2012: Article ID 450685 doi:10.1100/2012/450685.
- Stolt M, Bradley M, Turenne J, Payne M, Scherer E, Cicchetti G, King J, Shumchenia E, Guarinello M, Boothroyd J, Oakley B, Thornber C, and August P. 2011. Methods and protocols for mapping shallow subtidal benthic habitats. Journal of Coastal Research 27: 1- 15.
- Shumchenia EJ and King JW. 2010. Comparison of methods for integrating biological and physical data for marine habitat mapping and classification. Continental Shelf Research 30: 1717-1729.
- Shumchenia EJ and King JW. 2010. Evaluation of sediment profile imagery as a tool for assessing water quality in Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island, USA. Ecological Indicators 10: 818-825.
- Guarinello ML, Shumchenia EJ and King JW. 2010. Marine habitat classification for ecosystem-based management: A proposed hierarchical framework. Environmental Management 45, 793-806.
- Weaver KJ, Shumchenia EJ, Ford KH, Rousseau MA, Greene JK, Anderson MG, and King JW. 2013. Application of the Coastal and Marine Ecological Classification Standard (CMECS) to the Northwest Atlantic. The Nature Conservancy, Eastern Division Conservation Science, Eastern Regional Office. Boston, MA. http://nature.ly/EDcmecs
- Grilli AR, and Shumchenia EJ. 2015. Toward wind farm monitoring optimization: assessment of ecological zones from marine landscapes using machine learning algorithms. Hydrobiologia 756:117-137.
- Shumchenia EJ, Pelletier MC, Cicchetti G, Pesch CE, Pryor M, and Deacutis CF. 2015. A biological condition gradient model for historical assessment of estuarine habitat structure. Journal of Environmental Management 55:143-158.
- Shumchenia EJ, Guarinello ML, Carey DA, Lipsky A, Greene J, Mayer L, Nixon ME, Weber J. 2015. Inventory and comparative evaluation of seabed mapping, classification and modeling activities in the Northwest Atlantic, USA to support regional ocean planning. Journal of Sea Research 100: 133-140.
- Shumchenia EJ, Guarinello ML, King JW. 2016. A re-assessment of Narragansett Bay benthic habitat quality between 1988 and 2008. Estuaries and Coasts 39: 1463-1477.