Kew Museum of Economic Botany: Object Dispersals to Schools, 1877-1982
This dataset is a record of object dispersals from the Kew Museum of Economic Botany to schools between 1877 and 1982. It is based on entries in the 'Specimens Distributed' books (or exit books) in the Museum archive, including date of dispersal; name of recipient; name of school; level, type and denomination of school; number of objects; and any other information given in the books. This is supplemented by information from schools archival correspondence from 'Schools Letter Books', consisting of correspondence to Kew. There are item-level links to original archive sources - both exit books and schools letter books (volume 1 only) - available on the Biodiversity Heritage Library website (https://biodiversitylibrary.org).
This dataset was created as part of research for the Mobile Museum research project, a collaboration between Royal Holloway, University of London, and the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Links:
The Mobile Museum project (PI Felix Driver, CI Mark Nesbitt) was funded by the Arts & Humanities Research Council ('The mobile museum: economic botany in circulation', AH/N00941X/1).
RightsThe dataset was created by RHUL and Kew jointly.
- Bioinformatics and computational biology not elsewhere classified
- Plant biology not elsewhere classified
- Archival, repository and related studies
- British history
- Heritage, archive and museum studies not elsewhere classified
- Digital heritage
- Environmental philosophy
- Heritage and cultural conservation
- Historical studies not elsewhere classified
- History and philosophy of science
- Critical heritage, museum and archive studies
- Anthropology not elsewhere classified
- Economic history
- Other education not elsewhere classified
- Human geography not elsewhere classified