SSURF Presentation at PIDapalooza_2016_NOV_9.pptx
What is a user facility, the Society for Science at User Research Facilities (SSURF), SSURF’s unique role and mission, and its activities? Answers to these questions can be found in this presentation about the evolution of SSURF. SSURF, formerly known as the National User Facility Organization (NUFO), was founded in the 1990s and is the only professional society dedicated to the user science community. It provides a unified voice on user science issues. SSURF’s mission is to advance the science performed at user research facilities by (1) supporting their professional communities and research networks through the sharing of best practices and facilitation of professional development, and (2) promoting public awareness about the benefits and significance of the facilities and their research. Examples of SSURF’s outreach and other initiatives include:
· User Science Exhibitions for Congress.
· Participation in US Science and Engineering Festival and AAAS Family Days.
· Congressional testimony on the role the Department of Energy’s (DOE) user facilities play in enabling basic research that drives innovations an economic growth.
· Working with the DOE to facilitate access to facilities for non-US citizens.
· Provided opinion on enhancing immigration procedures for international users.